30 Things You Probably Didn't Know About Me
Hey! 👋🏼 In case you don't know me, I'm Sonia. I'm a photographer, poetess and storyteller. I posted a similar post on INSTAGRAM, and was inspired to write a longer version here on my website. If you're not familiar with what I do, take a look around! I'm always looking for new ways to deepen my own self-awareness and understanding, so here it goes...
30 THINGS YOU PROBABLY DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT ME:
1. I'm an only child.
2. I've been playing piano for 20 years, but have such terrible stage-freight that no one really knows that I do, even in front of family. I've completed all of my music theory and practical piano examinations with the Royal Conservatory of Music and McGill University in Montreal and have a repertoire that includes pieces by Chopin (my favourite), Debussy (my second favourite), Beethoven, Bach, Handel, Schubert, Liszt, Mozart, Wagner and so so much more.
3. I have 5 tattoos (including a larger half-sleeve piece on my left arm up onto my shoulder).
4. I wanted to be a palaeontologist growing up. I even got a palaeontologist Barbie for my 7th or 8th birthday. I studied everything I could on dinosaurs with my Encyclopedia Britannica CD on my Windows '98 computer. Triceratops and Brachiosaurus were my favourites. I was also obsessed with The Land Before Time movies. I watched them all many times.
5. My first language was Italian, but I don't speak it very much anymore, unless it's with my parents or Italian relatives. I speak 4 languages total: English, French, Italian and basic Spanish.
6. I'm so empathetic that I can literally feel the pains, emotions and stresses of others as though they were mine.
7. I have an unconscious habit/tick of twirling my hair.
8. I'm letting my hair dread naturally. I've always wanted dreadlocks, ever since I was a little girl. My piano teacher growing up had them down to her knees. I always thought they looked so beautiful, so I'm finally letting my hair do its thang.
9. I've written in a journal since I was about 10 years old.
10. I'm very calculated in my spontaneity. It's usually something I've thought about doing for a very long time until I finally decided to just do it.
11. I'm a social introvert. I prefer one-on-one conversations. Groups make me extremely uncomfortable, even if it's people I know well. But once the barriers have dissolved, you'll come to discover that I'm super bubbly, outgoing and talkative.
12. If ever I'm walking alone in an area in which I feel weird vibes, I project an image of a giant python walking beside me as my guardian and protector.
13. Making others smile and knowing I am helping support someone in the manifestation of their own dreams makes me feel successful and fulfilled in every way. More than my own success.
14. I don't have an appendix.
15. I have what's called Synesthesia. I've had it ever since I can remember and only found out what it as maybe a couple of years ago. For example, when I play or hear music, every note / combination of notes has colours and shapes associated to them. Emotional states also have colours, even physical body sensations. Numbers have colours. Colours can have smells. Letters and numbers can also have "personalities" and/or qualities. Like, the number 5 is cranberry coloured, feminine and young.
16. I've backpacked all over Costa Rica alone.
17. I'm very psychic. I know a lot about someone when I meet them for the first time, and have even known of important moments in their life (usually transformative for them in a big way and difficult) before they've even spoken a word. I knew what my grandmother on my mother's side looked like before ever seeing a picture of her (she died giving birth) and my great-aunt was the only one with the photo of her in our entire family. I have intense premonitions and prophetic dreams. I've known how people have died and felt it physically on my body. This could be a whole post on its own...
18. My favourite colour is purple. From about the ages of 10 to 17 it was black.
19. I almost died in a car accident 4 years ago.
20. I won my first and only solo figure skating competition when I was maybe 13 years old. After not hearing my name for 3rd or 2nd place, I assumed I hadn't won, so I went straight down to the locker area to remove my skates. Next thing I knew, my mom came rushing down the stairs to tell me that, to my great surprise, I had actually won gold! My photo was printed in the local newspaper the next day.
21. I love the smell of rain and humidity after a storm.
22. I'm extremely hard headed, but also extremely open-minded.
23. I have a photographic memory.
24. In my spare time during high school, I would write murder-related and thriller short stories for fun.
25. I can't deal with superficial or fake people. I just can't.
26. Whenever I meet someone new I always ask them what their greatest passion is.
27. I'm a very deep and attentive listener. I can be so immersed in someone else's story that I can lose all sensory perception of my own body.
28. I also hate when people are not as present as I am in a conversation. It is my biggest pet peeve.
29. I believe that ETs and any and all other life forms live here on Earth and across our vast Universe. Call me crazy, but I've been contacted by several types before, in dreams and during meditations. If you're into this sort of stuff, they were Blue Avians, another very tall blue type of being, and shorter red/brownish ones with long heads and beady eyes. Yup - I know...
30. My biggest dream has always been to create a retreat center where people can go to heal, create and be free. I want to facilitate art therapy workshops, women's retreats and workshops, ecstatic dances, food and medicine making weekends and so much more.